Last night was the end of months of building anticipation and the beginning of a lifetime of fandom. I've been excessively obsessed about the coming of Seattle's new MLS franchise, Sounders FC. I've been reading toomanySoundersblogs, perusing toomanySoundersforums. In these last few weeks, as the inaugural game crept closer, I doubt there was an hour when the Sounders did not enter my mind.
The night before the game, I had an anxiety dream involving ferries, tickets, and incomplete cable channel lineups.
So yes. Maybe you should be concerned about me.
Thursday I took the afternoon off so we could head down to Seattle with time to spare. Kevin, Meghan, Neal, and Mom were coming to the game, and Dad was watching Corbin.
Corbin didn't go to this first game (thanks Grandpa, for watching him!), but he's ready! Aunt Meghan, knitting master, busted out a scarf for him. He might go to the next game, on the 28th, since we might not have a good babysitter option.
The other reason we came down early was to get downtown to participate in the March to the Match. It kicked off at Occidental Park, introduced and commenced by owners Joe Roth, Adrian Hanauer, and Drew Carey. The Sounders have a band (I'm still deciding if this is a good or bad thing; I'm leaning toward good), and they led us several blocks to the stadium. This is a nice tradition, and was fun to be a part of.
Kevin found us all scarves during the Sounders' guerrilla marketing campaign, "Scarf Seattle." There were scarves on trees and benches and signs and even buildings. It was definitely cool and built a lot of interest. And? Free scarf!
The Sounders warmed up a bit before the opening ceremonies. Above, front and center, we have Fredy Montero, who scored a brace for us, including the first goal in Sounders FC history.
I amazed even myself with my ability to identify players. It seemed to confirm that I had spent way too much time with Sounders on the brain.
The Emerald City Supporters are the main organized supporters' group for the Sounders. They are built around chanting, singing, making noise, drinking, and being crazy. They have my full support, and I think supporters' groups are very important to soccer teams, an important cultural component. I'm not into sitting with them, since they have huge flags that can block the view of the field, and I probably won't join their group, since I really have no need for the extensive pub discounts they provide, but I'm glad they're there. They orchestrated a nice display after the national anthem. The banner reads "Tonight our history becomes legend." It was impressive and well-done.
As the game began I had this vibrating excitement in my legs (actually, this last well past the final whistle). The whole stadium stood for the entire first half, and the noise and energy was incredible. When Fredy slipped in that first goal in the 13th minute or so, and involuntary and unexpected erupted from my mouth. I don't know that I've ever felt a cheer like that before. The Sounders have truly gotten to me.
I think it makes a difference, too, to be there for the beginning of something. I love the Mariners, but they are a few years older than me. They've been around. There have been incarnations of the Sounders in Seattle through the years, but this is the first time in 25 years that the top level of North American soccer has existed in our state. And the first time that I have known about it, and felt it, and been a part of it.
I'm pretty sure my voice was gone before the end of the first half.
I was wired and exhausted and energized by the time the final whistle blew. Since the soccer clock runs continuously, there is no rest for the engaged fan (unlike baseball and football, which are chock full of stops and starts--as much playing as waiting). I cheered every little thing, from a clearance to a quick pass, goal to save to header to foul. Everything was exciting, and I absorbed every second of it.
I'm Sounders till I die I'm Sounders till I die I know I am I'm sure I am I'm Sounders till I die.
While we are an expansion team, and no one would fault us for losing our very first game to an experienced side, it turned out Fredy's first goal was all we needed. We dominated and dismantled a New York team named for an energy drink. It was glorious and wonderous and the start of something good.
8 comments:
Anonymous
said...
Hmm.. I'm getting the slight feeling that you may be a Sounders fan? Not sure where I would get such a silly idea though. ;)
I don't know either, but I do know that in two years we'll certainly be heading north to pick apart the newly rechristened Whitecaps. Will they be your team? Might be fun to go watch the Sounders beat them with you and Lily and Dave!
Hahhah!! You know, I wouldn't mind so much if our team lost. We'd be happy to go with you guys! Haha! The only sport-type thingie I go ga-ga for is tennis. And the Olympics. Ooh, and that's happening next year!
8 comments:
Hmm.. I'm getting the slight feeling that you may be a Sounders fan? Not sure where I would get such a silly idea though. ;)
I don't know either, but I do know that in two years we'll certainly be heading north to pick apart the newly rechristened Whitecaps. Will they be your team? Might be fun to go watch the Sounders beat them with you and Lily and Dave!
Hahhah!! You know, I wouldn't mind so much if our team lost. We'd be happy to go with you guys! Haha! The only sport-type thingie I go ga-ga for is tennis. And the Olympics. Ooh, and that's happening next year!
gosh that looks like fun.
It looks like your blog is in a Sounder color scheme?
Completely by dumb luck.
We'll have to join you at a game one of these days. I watched the second half on TV.
FUN!!! I can't wait to try one! :)
Post a Comment