This was not a drug bust.
Erin headed to the butcher today to pick up the quarter steer we split with our friends Kevin and Becky and Aki and Rich. This is an exciting day.
We're not big beefeaters, really. But we have been reading The Omnivore's Dilemma, and I think it's the end of the road for us, as far as feedlot beef is concerned. It's unhealthy, unhumane, unenvironmental, unreasonable, uneverything. So when I found this grass fed beef available on craigslist, we decided to go for it.
And now it's here, and it's filling up our freezer. Lots of ground, and a roast, a few steaks, some soup bone. Like I said, we're not big beefeaters, but we're excited at the prospect of supporting and consuming healthier, more humane, local meat.
Now we just need to find an in on some free range chickens, since that's a meat we consume much more than any other. Something to work on.
Happy Thanksgiving! Eat well!
We're not big beefeaters, really. But we have been reading The Omnivore's Dilemma, and I think it's the end of the road for us, as far as feedlot beef is concerned. It's unhealthy, unhumane, unenvironmental, unreasonable, uneverything. So when I found this grass fed beef available on craigslist, we decided to go for it.
And now it's here, and it's filling up our freezer. Lots of ground, and a roast, a few steaks, some soup bone. Like I said, we're not big beefeaters, but we're excited at the prospect of supporting and consuming healthier, more humane, local meat.
Now we just need to find an in on some free range chickens, since that's a meat we consume much more than any other. Something to work on.
Happy Thanksgiving! Eat well!
5 comments:
WOW!!!
I have to say, I am tad bit jealous!
That seems like a great move. Let the freezer tetris begin.
Hey, what farm/ranch did you get this from? And if you do this again, we'd totally be interested in going in on it.
We got it from here.
Definitely, if more people are interested next time, it would be great to get a half and split it, or something.
There may be some cheaper options than the place we went with, too. It was just the one I found at the moment.
Anyway, can't wait to have some tasty fresh local beef!
Have fun playing some games with family!
we gotta get moving on our free-range chicken factory! :)
Congrats on grass-fed beef! If only you lived in NH, we could start supplying you with free-range chickens next summer! We have good pig, chicken and turkey suppliers in these parts, but I don't know anyone locally who does beef.
Post a Comment