Sunday, May 03, 2009

Things in dirt

We went all-in with the gardening this weekend. It's always nice when you feel like you got a lot accomplished, and then you can look outside and actually see accomplishments. We did a fair amount of reconfiguring this year. I'm going with a longer and taller hoop house for the tomatoes/peppers/basil (not in yet). We're trying out a squash-under-and-amongst-the-corn strategy, and have less rows and more "patches." We'll see how it goes.

On the west side of the garden there was a little slope, wasting a lot of space. Saturday I busted out a barrier so we could take that space and use it.

We got five yards of dirt delivered on Friday. It seemed like not much at first, and now we've moved about half of it, and it seems like a ton.

I'm all about starts. Because they're like headstarts. And because I'm too lazy to start my own. The only veggies we'll start by seed are greens and potatoes.

Lots of rocks with nowhere to go. So now we have another little bed. The wall is not the fanciest, sturdiest, or prettiest, but it's working all right, and the bed will be nice to have. Erin planted flowers there.

Chard, spinach, and salad starts we got two weeks ago and which are very very happy to be in the ground.

Erin planted a bunch of flowers. The veggies we got in the ground were beans, peas, squash, zucchini, chard, salad mix, kale, spinach, broccoli, red potatoes, purple potatoes, red onion, yellow onion, shallots, leeks, parsley, rosemary. Still to plant are cucumbers and corn. Still to acquire are tomatoes, peppers, basil, and who knows.

Whew. Happy May!

2 comments:

Kevin said...

Nice looking garden, I like the semi-raised bed. Where did all the soil come from?

Looks like it's gonna be yummy!

Meghan said...

Wow, looks like some great improvements! And such yumminess in the ground!