Saturday, May 23, 2009

North Carolina Part I- Graduation

Ah, we are home from NC. It was a great trip both with family and old friends. I am glad to be home as this was just the first trip of many this summer. We flew from Seattle to Charlotte NC, Corbin's longest flight yet. He was a trooper. But I was tired. It's hard to keep that little guy in one small place for 5 hours. And by myself. I was really glad to see my parents in Houston for the second flight and have some help. The whole trip Corbin did so awesome going with the flow. Some days he hardly got any naps, or one nap, and even 2 on some days! We met my grandparents in Charlotte and drove to Asheville. The family that Jed and Kara nanny for have this amazing apartment/office/meditation center right in downtown Asheville that they let us stay in. It was amazing! Corbin and I had our own room with a master bath that became his bedroom :-), a balcony on the street where we could listen to music being played down the street, and some great people watching. And fans in every room. Corbin was in heaven!

We spent Friday hanging out, letting Corbin nap, and going to the UNCA Botanical Gardens. Corbin had fun crawling around in the grass and mud.




Then on Friday night Jed raced in the Town Mt. Climb. We went and cheered him on. He ended up finishing 4th.



On Saturday, Jed walked in the graduation ceremony. He graduated from University of North Carolina Asheville, Summa Cum Laude, in Health and Wellness. He just got accepted into Teach For America in Denver. So in July he and Kara are moving to Denver. He still has to get a job in a specifc school but the hardest part was getting into the super competetive Teach for America program! The graduation was pretty cool as far as college graduations go. Doc Watson got an honorary degree and sang three songs! It was pretty cool. He was one of the first people Jed and I saw in concert when Jed was 5! And the key note speaker was from Evergreen State College and sang the fighting song about the Gooey Duck! Ha! And it was outside and gorgeous out. Corbin and I played on the grass and walked around while it was all going on.








We of course missed Adam while we were gone. But we got to Skype with him a few times. Corbin just lit up when he saw him and waved! It was so cute.

Jed and Kara had a wedding to go to on Saturday night, so we had his party on Sunday at our friend Becca's house. Becca is also from Andover, and is Kelcey's sister. So it's kinda cool that we got to see her too.

Jed and Alex in a game of Corn Hole.




Becca has a whole basket full of dog dress up clothes. She thought it would be fun to show it to Corbin...




It was great to see my parents and grandparents. And celebrate Jed's graduation. Even though I went to Asheville to visit Kelcey a long time ago, I hadn't been since Jed has lived there. It was fun to see where he lives, meet some of his friends, and hang out in a pretty cool city.

Corbin turned 11 months while we were there. He also took his first steps on his own. Three of them!!! They were mini steps but they were steps. At some point I will write an 11 month post too.

Next up, Part II- visiting Lili and the Loomer gang!

4 comments:

Kevin said...

Looks like a fun trip. Congratulations, Jed! I would like to go to North Carolina some day. It has a certain appeal to me, even though I don't really know anything about it.

That's exciting about Corbin taking some steps, too! It was nice to see you guys during your Seattle stops.

Meghan said...

Woohoo, first steps! That's so exciting! Congrats to Jed, what a great accomplishment! Can't wait to see what the rest of the trip had in store for you guys!

Sweet Mess said...

I happen to LOVE all the pictures! I also was reminded again that you have such an amazing family Erin! It was nice to be part of some of the graduation festivities.

Helen said...

Great photos. I was wondering how your trip went! Cor is getting sooo big. I can't believe he's going to be 1 soon (and Lily is following close behind!)!