Friday, January 21, 2011

Operation Baby Weight

I don't tend to talk too much about myself here, just the kids these days. I don't talk to many people about this topic but I am going out on a limb and writing about it for the cyber-world, maybe to make it more real, maybe to hold myself more accountable. I am not really sure why but I found myself thinking about writing about it here. So here it goes.

I need/want to lose weight. As those of you who know me in person, I have always struggled with this issue for as long as I can remember. I am usually very happy with myself. I know I am over-weight and am usual ok with some of my extra curves. But according to my BMI, I am obese. I feel like I can do most things just fine. I am active. I like to do active things. But I am not competitive. Who really cares if you can run faster than me. I like to do what I like to do. And for me, I love food. I don't like to be told I can't have something. I love sugar. I love sweets. I have an addictive personality and don't know when to stop. I just plain-old love to eat. So I let myself. But I was not blessed with good weight genetics. I have to work really hard to not gain weight. I have to work REALLY hard to lose weight. In college it got really bad and I reached my peak weight (besides pregnancy) and started to have some health problems. It was scary. Before my wedding I lost 20 pounds and then 10 more after that. I should have kept going... but I didn't. It crept back on. Then I got pregnant.

Some people can loose that baby weight no problem, off it comes. Not me. People said with breast feeding you can eat anything. So I did. I didn't gain more weight but my baby weight didn't really go anywhere. Some said it takes 9 months to put it on and 9 to take it off. With Corbin I gained 28 pounds. I lost 15 after he was born and then could never get those other 12-15 pounds off. Then Eliza comes along and I was 15 pounds heavier than Corbin. I gained 30 pounds. Now 6 months later, I still have only lost 15 pounds. Some of you might remember that I was at high risk for gestational diabetes and other complications. Nothing ever came of it. I had healthy pregnancies but I had to be more careful. So I am on a quest. Operation Baby Weight.

I have garnered some of my mom friends to do a challenge with me. I need to lose 8 pounds in 8 weeks to get me back to my pre-Eliza weight. Then I need to keep going to my pre-Corbin weight but I need to start of with a small measurable goal. One pound a week. I can do it. I wanted support this time. So 4 of my friends are doing it too. We are all going to chip in $10 and the person who loses the most percentage gets the pot. I have a goal. I am trying to exercise at least 3 times a week, hopefully more. I am calorie counting. I am writing down what I eat on an awesome website, www.loseit.com It calculates and does all the math for me and has tons of food /item calorie counts already in their program. I am following some of the Eating Well tips for losing weight. I need to cut 500 calories a day to lose a pound a week. As of today, I lost 5 pounds!

So there you have it. I have said it out loud. I need to do it. It's time. I will need support. I eat more around social events and I am a very social person. I am not going to deny myself anything but I have to be careful. I am hungry. Some days all I want to do is eat more food. I will keep you all posted.

4 comments:

Sades said...

Good for you, babies certainly do result in many changes to our lives. You might want to check out the primal blueprint. We have been slowly adapting to that lifestyle, and a lot of people on there have had success losing weight quickly and keeping it off. Just google it if you're interested.

Garden Street Zoo said...

I have a sneaking suspicion that it will be harder for me to drop the baby weight the second time around, plus it is going to be more weight to start with. =) Sounds like you are off to a great start! My mom loves Weight Watchers online, which sounds similar to the website you mentioned. You can do it lady! I can't wait to hear about all your success. Plus that means you can go shopping for some new clothes, right?

Anonymous said...

oh, erin, i know how much courage it takes to even write these words at all, let alone in a public space. it can be so difficult to navigate all these different messages about our bodies and taking care of ourselves and feminism. i know you've read my blogging about my body issues a while back, but for a long time i felt that as a feminist, i shouldn't worry about what others thought of me, or about my body shape. well, NO, i shouldn't take care of myself for others' sake, but because it is what my body needs! so i encourage you to remind yourself that you are not embarking on this effort out of self-denial but out of self-love. blessings, and the best of luck! i believe that you can do this!
xo,
caren

Liliana said...

Woot woot!! Five pounds?! Lady, you are going to kick my ass at this. I haven't lost a pound yet. Ugh. It's definitely not easy. At least we are having a (sort of) fun time. :-)