Thursday, August 14, 2008

Mid August Days

We aren't going anywhere this weekend for the first time in three weeks. Yahoo! That doesn't mean we didnt' have a busy week though. Corbin's uncle Jed arrived in the middle of the night on Monday to visit his nephew for the 1st time. Corbin had his 2 month doctors visit. We went blueberry picking. And we went to the fair. Yep. All in three days time.

Corbin's doctor's appointment verified that he is growing. He now weighs 12 lbs 1 oz and is 23 inches long. Both in the 75 percentile. She said he looks good everywhere else too! We had to do some vaccine research before this appointment. It's a controversial subject but we feel like we have made a good decision that is both socially responsible and yet avoids some of the side effects from vaccines. We have decided to follow an alternative vaccine schedule from the book "The Vaccine Book" by Dr. Sears. This decision is to refrain from injecting him with more aluminum than is recommended by the FDA that often come with multiple shots by spreading them out. So on Tues. he got his Dtap shot and the oral Rota Virus vaccine. He will have to go go back in month for 2 more shots. Eventually he will get most of all the recommended shots but just over a longer period of time. It was a hard decision and might take more time and effort but hopefully will avoid some negative side effects.

It was fun to have my brother here to meet Corbin. Corbin has now met all of his aunt and uncles (not all great ones) now. It was a fun week for Jed to get to see him. He has become way more responsive and smiley! He has also figured out he has a tongue and has been sticking it out a lot. Today we noticed that he is gaining more control of his limbs and can almost get his fingers into his mouth on purpose. At the fair he didn't want to be in the stroller where he couldn't really see. He wanted to be facing out and held so he could take it all in. Our Beco front carrier unfortunately only allows him to face in. We might have to use the sling more so he can see out. He was awake for the dairy cows, the food, and the rides. He slept through the horses, sheep, goats, beef cows, chickens, and collections. We all indulged in lots of fried fair food. It was a good first fair trip for Corbin. Adam is already scheming on what kinds of weird things Corbin will collect for the collections exhibit.

We also started our cloth diaper service this week. We are using the Seattle Diaper Service which delivers 70 cloth diapers every week. So far Corbin likes them! They are way easier than most people think they will be. I also got a wet/dry bag to keep in the diaper bag for those wet diapers. I am glad we won't be throwing away so many diapers now or having Corbin exposed to all the nasty things that are in plastic diapers. I was inspired to also start using reusable wipes at a diaper party. Hopefully we will start those too. It's all way easy! I encourage anyone to try them.

We have also been enjoying the Olympics. Summer seems to be winding down. It makes me nervous to have Adam go back to school... but more on that later.






7 comments:

Jill said...

Hooray for fun times at the fair with friends and family!! :)

Meghan said...

It was great seeing you guys today, thanks so much for dropping by! Cuban food, yum! Love that picture of Jed and Corbin in sepia tone, how cute!

Anonymous said...

Hooray for sepia!

You should clarify that Corbin hasn't met all of his "Great Aunts and Uncles," but that he has met all of his great "Aunts and Uncles."

Kat said...

corbin went on carnival rides ?!? i just have this vision of your three getting smushed first to one side and then the other as you ride the Teacups, and corbin all the while attempting to put his fingers in his mouth and wondering how it got so dang hard all of a sudden.....
:)
f

Anonymous said...

What an adorable little guy. I can definitely see his growth. :)

We've been thinking about the different vaccinations for Lily Bean too. It's SO controversial. I'm planning to get that book as well, but haven't gotten it yet. Your method seems like a good idea. I'll look more into it. She had to get her first vaccine the minute she was born though (her hep B vac) because I'm a carrier from my mother, so that one is already out of the way. Next month she has an appointment for all her other ones. I think in Canada they already stretch out the time spans for the different vacs, but I'll have to look into it more.

I've been trying out the gdiapers, but she doesn't fit them yet. I'm gonna give it another two weeks or so before I try again. I can't wait to not have so many dirty diapers to throw out. Ugh. I've been using the Seventh Generation wipes, but am interested now in the reusable wipes that you mentioned. I'll have to look those up. It's so good that there are so many safe and eco-friendly alternatives to baby-fying now! :)

I love those close-up shots of Corbin! He is growing so fast! All the things you've listed about him I'm starting to see in Lily Bean too, except to a lesser degree because she's 3 weeks behind Corb. She's starting to look at me more and respond to me more, and smiling to us with will! We're so excited to hear her giggle and smile more at will... we're anxious for it. Hehe.

Matthew Scholtz said...

That is a very photogenic kid. I really like the expressions in the two sepia photos. Still hope to meet him very soon.

Erin said...

No, no carnival rides. Just walking around looking at them. He wasn't quite ready for the zipper, maybe next year:-)