Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The future

This week I am officially a stay at home mom. Not just a school counselor on summer break. My school went back to meetings this week and school starts for students tomorrow. Adam officially starts today and rode away this morning on his bike. I am eating breakfast while Corbin sits in his chair and bats at the dangly objects hanging from it. Laughing. Glancing back at the funny face in the mirror, not realizing its him :-) Yesterday went pretty well. Corbin is getting into a slightly more regular routine. Kind of. It's weird to not be going back to school. It's just ingrained inside of me that when fall comes so does school. It's what I have been doing for the last 24 years. Elem. school, high school, college, AmeriCorps, grad school, and finally school counesling. All of them involve going back to school. I am really excited to be at home with Corbin. I just dont' know what it will look like. Summer allowed us to just hang out with friends, be lazy, and go for walks with Becky and Brody. Now I wonder what kinds of things we will do. We can go to the library and listen to stories, we can go to a parent group and meet other moms and dads with infants, baby and mommy yoga, more walks and play dates with Becky and Brody. It's important to me to get out and do things. I am curious to know how Corbin's schedule will work with all of these activities. It's also imporant to me to be flexible. We will see how it all goes. It's a new adventure. As he grows, so will I, into a mom. Wow. We miss Adam already :-)

I was also thinking about the future last night watching the Democratic convention. I have never watched it before, we have never had free cable before. I was truely inspired by watching Michelle Obama. I had never really seen her before. She is a beautiful, smart, powerful, mom, wife, and leader. It is so exciting to think that our future president could be the first African American man elected, Barak Obama. It's pretty exciting. I was emotional watching it last night. Excited to think about talking with Corbin about it one day. Excited to vote for change. I am being very optomistic right now.

Ok. Corbin has had enough of his chair. Time to go.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

A stay at home mom! How exciting!! :) You will do well. We're trying to get a "schedule" going too.. so far so good, and we're trying to get into going out a bit more, slowly and surely. lol Hehe. How is your bottle feeding go? It's a bit easier, I find, for going out, though the boobs do get sore if I don't nurse (or pump) after a while.

We have a few more months before I go back to work (and I will only go on a very part-time basis, so it won't be too bad). :)

Love you both! You're doing awesome! I want to see more videos of him!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on this new phase of your life! I know I felt a bit at sea when Dave went back to work (school!) after the summer, but we found our way. This may or may not be your speed, but I really love the guidance in finding rhythm that I've received from the book "You Are Your Child's First Teacher". It's definitely one of my favorite parenting books, and I highly recommend it (though there's something in their for everyone to be wierded out by... but don't let that turn you off!) Don't worry... You'll find your way!

Erin said...

yeah it's weird but I think we will do well. We are excited for the adventure! We are not really trying to do too much of a schedule, just when the time is right. I am also a go with the flow kind of gal. And Caren, thanks for the recc. We actually have that book but I haven't started to read it yet. I will have to check it out!