Hungarian baths. Wow. What a funny thing! They were built by the Turks, who built them because they were worried that while they were invading that people wouldn't bathe. Well, they certainly were used. It seemed like the most crowded place we have been yet. We stood in line to get in. There were locals and tourists like us. We weren't really sure what we were doing, or where we were going so we just kinda went with the flow. A funny little Hungarian man who spoke almost no English, ushered us into a "cabin" to change. We then went and paid for our massage before we entered the pools. We had an hour before our massage, so we went to explore the pools. As soon as we entered there were people in bathing suits everywhere. Again, men in speedos, just strutting around. We kinda just walked around for a bit to figure out what to do. We found one end and just worked our way to the other. The pools ranged from about 38 c to 28 c. There was even this funny pool that had a current. We just spun around in an oval with about 20 other people, letting the current move it. It was so funny! The medicinal pools had more old people in them. I tried not to think about all the people in all the pools, and all their dirt and grime from the heat outside. Yuck! And just tried to relax. We finally reached what appeared to be the end, when we discovered there was an outside section!
This was where the party was! There were three huge pools, a couple of resturants, terraces, chairs, old men playing chess, in the pool, water spouts, women and men sunbathing, another current pool, kids, everything! Yep. Then we got our massage.
I guess we could call it a massage. Maybe a rub down. Again, I tried not to think about it too much. I was in a funny little room, with a half naked man at the table right next to me, and a fat old lady masseuse. The woman didn't speak any English, she told me to take my top off. Then she closed the curtain when she realized I was a little skeptical about the man next to me. Then they rubbed a lotion all over us, and vigorously rubbed for about 15 minutes and then it was done. Yep. That was our Hungarian bath experience, next time I will be more prepared and I think it won't be so shocking. Oh yeah, we got 600 FT back because we left within two hours, crowd control.
We get on the train to Slovenja tonight. We hope it works out ok, with our bikes. Hope all is well!
There are these "art" cows everywhere. We have seen a watermelon, salami, flowers, a lemon drop, and then we came across this one. Hmmm...we aren't really sure what this one means. We think maybe the pigs in Seattle, might be patterned after these Budapest cows. 
4 comments:
I don't remember seeing any pigs that dirty, though. Another favorite cow had a straw sticking out of its back.
Bring on the train! And Slovenia! Huzzah!
The 'art'cows look just like a series of bovines resplendent in Chicago in the summer of '99. I couldn't resist a picture myself then, as odd.
You'll love Slovenia. Magical place methinks. And will they be talking about Zidane...
Hello you crazy guys!! I love the blog and the pics. It sure looks like you are having a wonderful time. I am SO excited to be able to follow along with you-- although it's probably not quite the same as being there. Shucks. Erin, if you still have that shiner on your thigh, see if there's some arnica anywhere in Slovenia. Keep having fun. . .
Hey Guys,
Ah, the adventures, trials and tribulations of traveling and learning as you go. I know it well and love it. Sometimes things work out great, and sometimes they are a total disaster.
I hope that you made it to Slovenija ok, and did not have too many problems with the bikes. Kasey and I have been reading the posts and checking out the pictures. Budapest looks like a beautiful city! I am jealous that you guys are in Slovenija. Say hi to it for me.
All is well here and can't wait to see you guys.
talk later
jed
Post a Comment