Monday, July 19, 2010

Sow, reap

In between naps and diapers and general babyness, we have been able to get a few things from the garden to the table.

Corbin helped me a ton with the garlic. First, he helped me knock dirt off them after I pulled them up. He did that for about two plants. Then he helped me by carrying the garlic over to the lawn. He did that for about two plants. Then he took a break.

During the peeling, Corbin was the official put-peels-and-roots-in-the-bucket-er. He was a great help. Then he decided the bucket needed to be about fifteen feet from where we were working. He continued to transport peels to bucket, but kind of slowed down.

He was the biggest help when I was hanging it up. I was not particularly interested in going up and down the ladder with 78 garlics. That's a lot of up and down. Corbin helped by handing me about 50 of them, before he got tired of it. All this with the constant distraction of an available ladder!

Lots of raspberries. Actually, now that I think about it, these trays are still in the freezer waiting to be bagged. I think I put them in there...eh...four days ago.

Our blueberries are coming a little early this year. Yesterday Corbin and I picked a bunch and made blueberry pancakes. It's amazing how different pancakes taste with hand picked frozen blueberries vs. store blueberries. And then it's amazing again how different pancakes taste with fresh picked, never frozen blueberries. This is by far our best crop of blueberries, so that's pretty exciting.

We picked our first pepper, to put in our chicken-and-rice-and-other-stuff casserole last night. We also harvested Corbin's hair, but didn't end up putting that in the casserole. It tasted funny.

We also picked our first two zucchinis. We've steamed up about four artichokes. Salad greens are going strong. Lots of other things are getting closer and closer.

Yum.

6 comments:

Meghan said...

Yum yum! Our blueberries are not quite there yet, and we're looking forward to a much bigger crop of raspberries next year. We envy your bounty! :) Corbin's haircut looks great!

celina said...

Oh my god Erin! Your garden is so abundant! Our little veggie beds are looking so sad this year. Last year everything flourished. We keep blaming it on the slugs and the mild winter we had and the not super hot summer so far. But after looking at your harvest I think we are just doing something wrong. I'm jealous! Good job. And great that Corbin is such a good helper too.

BI Mom said...

What a good helper Corbin was especially while hanging the garlic! Those stalks look fantastic!! 78!! WOW!! Summer has finally arrived along with the garden goodies. Picked our first 2 tomatoes last Monday! I must say I am missing your first course artichokes, though. Happy Harvesting!!

BI Grammie said...

WOW!! Corbin looks so grown-up! Nice haircut!

Sweet Mess said...

I am amazed at all you are doing in addition to the addition! Wish I could be there to sit at your table!

Erin said...

Let me remind everyone that Adam is doing all this garden work. I seem to be doing a lot of nursing, napping, and trying to get a baby to sleep.