Saturday, July 05, 2008

Today The other day on "Cooking with Corbin"

Erin put all this into one picture and one caption. She didn't know I was planning this post. I'm going to write it anyway. And even use the same picture.

Corbin and I have been doing a lot of cooking these days. Basically, the routine is as follows:

  1. Corbin wakes up sometime between 5 AM and 8 AM. Today it was closer to 8, thankfully. Because I ate way too much pizza last night.
  2. Corbin has his breakfast.
  3. I put Corbin in the sling and head downstairs. He usually falls asleep pretty quickly in the sling.
  4. Corbin and I putter. Or tidy. Or watch the Tour de France like we did today. I can't quite do the dishes with him in the sling. I'm too far away from the sink.
  5. Erin wakes up.
  6. Corbin and I make Erin breakfast. Waffles or eggs or pancakes or whatever Erin wants. We're helpful that way.
The other day, though, we revised #4 into "Corbin and I make Garlic Scape Pesto."

I've never really made anything with our curly garlic tops, though I knew that we could. We've chopped them up for flavor before, but that only uses one or two. We have forty. What to do with forty garlic scapes? Hello Google! I found several recipes for Garlic Scape Pesto. This is the one I used, which has walnuts instead of pine nuts. I think I used some saltier parm, because the final product is borderline too salty. I'll reduce the salt next time, which will be one year from now, as I've used all our scapes.

Anyway. We used some of the pesto for pizza sauce last night at Julie and Jerry's, and it was excellent. You didn't even notice the saltiness, really. It has a pretty strong garlic flavor, but without the garlic zap. Tasty. And we've got three ice cube trays' worth in the freezer. Hoo-ray.

No comments: