Monday, August 15, 2011

Home --> Larrabee --> Home

I. Prologue

We've done this before. So, this is the second annual Corbin and Dad bike camp. Last year, we did it alone, though Alden and his dad, Eric, did join us for dinner. This year, Alden and Eric biked along with us--their first bike camp! So not just good fun. Good friends, too.

II. Day One: Home to Larrabee State Park

Miles: Oh around 13 Riding time: Yeah about an hour and a half

We left our house after lunch. No nap! Corbin often doesn't take them anyway. We rolled up to Alden and Eric's. We mixed road and trail, riding to Fairhaven via downtown and roads, hopped on the Interurban, skirted Arroyo Park, went up a ridiculously steep hill to get back on the Interurban, and took the trail the rest of the way. Last year, the trail was covered in fresh gravel, and I abandoned it. This year was better, but the combination of gravel trails, steep hills, and heavy three year-olds in trailers brought me to a bike touring first: Walking up hills. Twice I couldn't keep momentum. It was a little sad. But I'm OK with it. Also, it's hard even to walk up a gravel hill pushing about eighty pounds of bike and kid and stuff.

We arrived at Larrabee without reservations and knowing that the walk-in sites were taken. But we found out that as bikers we could pay the walk-in price for any site. So yay! We took site number one. A little close to the road, but not right next to the train that comes by every two to three hours.

Here's how things went:
  1. Set up camp
  2. Head to the beach
  3. Look at starfish and stuff
  4. Payground!
  5. Back to camp
  6. Hot dogs!
  7. Toss around the football
  8. S'mores!
  9. Head to the beach
  10. Sunset
  11. Bed
Things went pretty smoothly. It was definitely fun to have a friend. Corbin is pretty lucky to have a couple really good friends that he genuinely enjoys being around and cares a lot about.

Corbin and I read a book and talked until about 10:00 (just guessing, I didn't look at the time). When I said it was time to stop talking and close our eyes, he didn't complain. He went right to sleep, and slept pretty well. I slept as I usually do while camping: Poorly. But oh well.







III. Day Two: Larrabee State Park to Home

Miles: Right about 13 (makes for about 26 total) Riding time: Around 1 hour 15 minutes

I think Eric and Alden were up around 7:00. I was awake then, too. But Corbin didn't wake up until 8:30. I wished I had my book.

We enjoyed the delights of hot cocoa and instant oatmeal for breakfast. Corbin was a bit grouchy, as is often the case in the morning. It made for a few bumps as we got ready to leave, and a little grumbleyness on the ride home, but it was mostly smiles.

I was a lot more tired than I remember being last year. Still, the ride home is not hard, and we made it.




IV. Epilogue

It was great fun camping with friends, for Corbin and me. I found it particularly nice to be able to talk to someone for the 1.5 hour ride. Hopefully, next year we can have even more friends.

Next year, I think Corbin should be able to ride on a trail-a-bike. I think a family bike camp will be in order. And a daddy-daughter camp? Seems like the summer is filling up already...

2 comments:

Erin said...

glad you guys had so much fun. Yes, Eliza missed you both and wanted to go so badly. Next year for sure with the little lady. Glad you could have such a special time with Corbin. He is lucky to have you and friends to do it with!

BI Grammie said...

I am so glad you all are taking these treasured adventures. Keep them up! I am looking forward to some Grammie Camps too!