Sunday, August 28, 2011

Girls Get-Away


I love my girlfriends. I seriously have great friends both new and old, mom's and not mom's. I feel really fortunate. Becoming a mother has made me realize even more how important it is to have good girl friends in your life. They help normalize many of the feelings I have towards parenting, they make me laugh, they let me cry, and they are often only a phone call away or quick trip across town, an email away, or a blog check away.

A couple of weekends ago I organized a girls bike camping trip for one night. Since Eliza weaned herself at the beginning of the summer, I thought it would be fun to get away with the girls. We figured that with some husbands/partners who worked, we could really only get away for one night. Six of us went, 4 moms, 3 of which were still nursing, and then two of my friends who don't have kids (yet).

We picked the San Juan County park on Lopez Island. I thought it would be perfect for us because not everyone was a "bike tourer" and so the less miles we had to carry our gear the better. And more time for hanging out, eating, and drinking wine! The campground is only a mile from the ferry dock. So we loaded up on Saturday morning and headed on the ferry. I have never gone bike camping without Adam and I hardly had any room for food! Thank goodness for the two ladies that brought trailers to carry my chocolate and wine!


The campground will always accommodate bike campers without a reservation. They have a big group camp but it was occupied by another large group who didn't seem to keen on sharing with 6 loud ladies. So we went into the over-flow camping. It was kinda on a hill and had no fire pit. But hey we got to camp there with no reservations!




We then headed off for a ride. We road into the little village, then to the spit, and then on down to Shark Reef Park. Then we headed back and got some yummy burgers in town. W finally got back to camp as it was getting dark. Since we didn't have a fire pit we headed down to the beach to make a fire. Thank goodness for graham cracker boxes and good fire starters, we were totally un-prepared with kindling and paper... But we got our fire. And we saw some cool phosphorescence in the water and the sand on the beach.




The next day we had a great breakfast and talked way into the morning. When we finally got going we didn't have much time for too big of a ride before needing to catch the right ferry. So we just rode to Spencer spit quickly and then came back for our gear and headed back to the ferry.

We had an amazing time, great conversations, lot of laughter, not enough sleep, good (box) wine, and some amazing weather! I think we all got back to our families feeling a little refreshed even with the lack of sleep. Corbin greeted me with the biggest smile and a huge HUG! Eliza was so excited that she was crying and wouldn't let me go. It feels good to know we were missed.

We rode a total of about 27 miles in the two days. Perfect for a little get-away. We can't wait to do it again next year!!! Thanks ladies! Who's up for next year?



No comments: