As you may know, I've been planning to take Corbin bike-camping this summer. We'd practiced sleeping in the tent, without success. We tried again last week, and again were unsuccessful. Continually with this mentality that we are "playing" sleep-in-the-tent. So I was a little worried. But I made a reservation! And reservations at state parks are annoying! So we were going!
II. Also
We are bike travelers. We camp by bike. We tour by bike. It's something we like to do. Erin and I have done it, and I've done it without the family.
People have told me, when Corbin was born, and with Eliza, that "your life's gonna change." And that's true. My life has changed (obviously). But not in the way "those people" think. I will not stop doing the things I like to do. I refuse to do that. But I will change so that I can do those things in a new way, a whole-fam-damly way. So life changes, yes. But the main way it changes is that now I load up my bike with stuff, and then hook a trailer to the back.
III. Day One: Home to Larrabee State Park
Miles: 14.04 (14.04 total) Riding time: 1:25:49
Trains: 5
My plan was to ride to Fairhaven mostly by road, and then take the Interurban Trail the rest of the way to Larrabee. This was partially successful.
The trail from Fairhaven to Arroyo Park was excellent. Very flat, very easy. I passed a bike commuter. I...er...wasn't keeping track of who passed me. Anyway, at Arroyo Park the trail became suddenly treacherous. Impassable by kid-trailer. So onto the road I go.
This was kind of annoying, since the main reason to take the trail was to avoid a narrow, curvy, uphill section of Chuckanut Drive. And this was exactly what I had to go up, now that I was back on the road. Ah well. Traffic wasn't too bad. And I did have two flags.
After surviving the least pleasant part of Chuckanut Dr., I rejoined the Interurban. Very nice. Until.
Sigh. Such good intentions they had. A fresh layer of gravel covered the trail. Perfect for walkies. But for me, with my touring tires, it was a bit mushy and pretty slow going. First chance I had, I abandoned the trail for good.
And then we arrived. Corbin hadn't fussed at all the entire ride. I had fussed more, actually.
They had the fire going when we got there, so we got straight down to what boys do. Poking sticks at fire. Alden and Corbin were both well behaved and kept a safe distance, for the most part.
We got in the tent about 9:45. No sense going to bed at a reasonable hour. We read some books and sang some songs. We played with the lightstick, which I eventually had to put away. Corbin has only slept with us a couple of times, mostly with Erin on trips. Never in a tent. I wasn't sure exactly how (if?) it would work. He decided he didn't want his sleeping bag, for one. He used his blanket. And then he proceeded to lay on my arm, on my chest, on my neck. To climb over me to the other side. It finally ended up something like this:
Tent wall--Corbin--Me--Corbin's pad--Corbin's sleeping bag--Tent wall
I estimate it was between 10:30 and 11:00 when he/we fell asleep. He never asked to go home or sleep in his bed. He said several times, unprompted, that he was "Having fun." So, I don't know, dodged a bullet?
Day Two: Larrabee State Park to Home
Miles: 12.21 (26.25 total) Riding time: 1:19:39
Trains: 2 (but also, foghorn!)
I don't really like sleeping in tents. Sleeping bags and pads don't really agree with me. But I survived.
I think I woke up at about 6. Corbin was covered in my sleeping bag, and I was spread across what part of my pad he gave me and his pad. I managed to nick some of my sleeping bag, too.
At about 6:30 Corbin woke up, said "Mommy go?"
"She's at home," I said. His response was to fall back to sleep.
Day Two: Larrabee State Park to Home
Miles: 12.21 (26.25 total) Riding time: 1:19:39
Trains: 2 (but also, foghorn!)
I don't really like sleeping in tents. Sleeping bags and pads don't really agree with me. But I survived.
I think I woke up at about 6. Corbin was covered in my sleeping bag, and I was spread across what part of my pad he gave me and his pad. I managed to nick some of my sleeping bag, too.
At about 6:30 Corbin woke up, said "Mommy go?"
"She's at home," I said. His response was to fall back to sleep.
As we approached town I ran through several potential routes, all containing more hills than I preferred. I ended up zig-zagging through the cemetery to avoid steep uphill gravel trails. It worked out, but was a little haphazard. I also had to avoid playgrounds, since Corbin was informing me of his interest in getting out and playing at a playground, and I had no intention of stopping or increasing the intensity of his pleas.
We made it.
IV. Epilogue
My knees hurt a bit, despite not much riding, but it doesn't really seem like things went that much slower pulling a twenty pound trailer and a thirty pound boy. Slow patches were more because of the trail than the load.
Corbin went to sleep early for his nap. I will go to sleep early tonight.
Next year, Birch Bay. Who's coming?
5 comments:
A GREAT DAD AND SON ADVENTURE FOR SURE!! and I love the way you tell the tale, Adam! I was cracking up! But.... you don't like sleeping in tents?? I never knew that! .....
We'll come! Camping with nephews is one of our most favorite things! :) Looks like a great trip, love the pic of Corbin cooking his hot dog! That is one looooong stick!
Sounds like fun! All those pics of him after you guys arrived are excellent.
It's not that I don't like sleeping in tents. It's that I don't like sleeping bags or pads. They don't work with the way I like to sleep.
It was definitely a good time had by both.
What a funny story, Adam! And, the photos were perfect too. Time to get Corbin a little camera so he can take some of you ;o)
Post a Comment