We are finally here, the world of the potty, undies, and accidents. I know I shouldn't be so glad to have him grow up so fast but I seriously thought that he would never be interested in going on the potty. Even some other kids who are not fully trained are at least interested but not Corbin, until this past week!
I am of the belief that he will do it when he is ready. I want to push but I know it will just become a battle. For a while I was asking him all the time. We had him sit on the toilet but nothing would happen. Then we just dropped it. I decided that he would tell me when he was ready. No pressure. We would continue to ask him here and there but not all the time. He had some big boy undies (Toy Story) that he would wear once in a while but he had some accidents and decided against it. He has gotten to the point where he knows when he has to poop. He either runs and hides and then instantly has us change his diaper. Or he would say something like,
"My tummy hurts. Mom, why does my tummy hurt?"
"I don't know buddy, why do you think it hurts?"
"Ask me if I have to poop mommy."
"Corbin do you have to poop.?"
"Yep, mommy, I do. Then you will change my diaper."
And we would have to look away or he would go to another room. So we knew we were getting close. But he refused to go try on the potty.
We were at Goodwill this past week and picked up another potty book. I don't know if that spurred the interest again or that he was just ready. We were working outside a lot this past week, as it was Adam's spring break. And somehow he decided that he wanted to try to pee outside. He did it after a long time just standing there! We were so excited for him. We tried to put some emphasis on how hard he worked and how we bet he was excited as opposed to putting too much judgment and praise.
He quickly just started wanting to go all the time outside. Then we got a pee on the potty. And he had decided he wants to wear the big boy undies more. He still was asking to get a diaper on before he pooped. There were still times when he wouldn't go on the potty.
So yesterday I went out and bought some more underwear. He was pretty excited. Today I guessed that he might want to try to wear them all day. He didn't want to try to pee this morning when he got up. Instead he put on undies then wanted a diaper. I knew he probably had to poop. So we had a diaper. A poop. Then big boy undies. Then playing and then an accident. He was find with it. I said we all have accidents. He wanted them again. Then we went for a walk. It was going to just be a short walk around the block. Then he wanted to go to the park. He said he had to go but then changed his mind. I should have tried to get him to go but then we went tot he creek. I think the rushing sound of the water was just too much. He just had pee running down his legs. Of course I didn't have any extra undies or pants. I gave him some choices of just walking with his wet pants. He was so cute, he was waddling around like his pants were wet-because they were. He ended up taking his pants off and I wrapped him in the blanket from Eliza and he rode back in the stroller.
To make this long story shorter... he had a poop in the potty too. He was pretty excited. Then a little later he had a poop accident -too much honeydew this morning. We had to go straight into the bath. He then peed again tonight.
As we were having our family meeting he got all excited about trying to stick his penis out of the undies like the big boys do. He kept saying "Mom, you want to see my penis through my undies?" It was just too cute. We are on our way!
Eliza's top tooth has broken through the surface! Ouch but she has been so good. She is showing some good wrestling moves on the changing table too. Tomorrow she is 9 months! Holy moly!
I wish I could add pictures but alas our computer is full again. What do you other bloggers do with all your pictures and videos? We have moved a bunch to the hard-drive but still are running out of room way too fast.
I am of the belief that he will do it when he is ready. I want to push but I know it will just become a battle. For a while I was asking him all the time. We had him sit on the toilet but nothing would happen. Then we just dropped it. I decided that he would tell me when he was ready. No pressure. We would continue to ask him here and there but not all the time. He had some big boy undies (Toy Story) that he would wear once in a while but he had some accidents and decided against it. He has gotten to the point where he knows when he has to poop. He either runs and hides and then instantly has us change his diaper. Or he would say something like,
"My tummy hurts. Mom, why does my tummy hurt?"
"I don't know buddy, why do you think it hurts?"
"Ask me if I have to poop mommy."
"Corbin do you have to poop.?"
"Yep, mommy, I do. Then you will change my diaper."
And we would have to look away or he would go to another room. So we knew we were getting close. But he refused to go try on the potty.
We were at Goodwill this past week and picked up another potty book. I don't know if that spurred the interest again or that he was just ready. We were working outside a lot this past week, as it was Adam's spring break. And somehow he decided that he wanted to try to pee outside. He did it after a long time just standing there! We were so excited for him. We tried to put some emphasis on how hard he worked and how we bet he was excited as opposed to putting too much judgment and praise.
He quickly just started wanting to go all the time outside. Then we got a pee on the potty. And he had decided he wants to wear the big boy undies more. He still was asking to get a diaper on before he pooped. There were still times when he wouldn't go on the potty.
So yesterday I went out and bought some more underwear. He was pretty excited. Today I guessed that he might want to try to wear them all day. He didn't want to try to pee this morning when he got up. Instead he put on undies then wanted a diaper. I knew he probably had to poop. So we had a diaper. A poop. Then big boy undies. Then playing and then an accident. He was find with it. I said we all have accidents. He wanted them again. Then we went for a walk. It was going to just be a short walk around the block. Then he wanted to go to the park. He said he had to go but then changed his mind. I should have tried to get him to go but then we went tot he creek. I think the rushing sound of the water was just too much. He just had pee running down his legs. Of course I didn't have any extra undies or pants. I gave him some choices of just walking with his wet pants. He was so cute, he was waddling around like his pants were wet-because they were. He ended up taking his pants off and I wrapped him in the blanket from Eliza and he rode back in the stroller.
To make this long story shorter... he had a poop in the potty too. He was pretty excited. Then a little later he had a poop accident -too much honeydew this morning. We had to go straight into the bath. He then peed again tonight.
As we were having our family meeting he got all excited about trying to stick his penis out of the undies like the big boys do. He kept saying "Mom, you want to see my penis through my undies?" It was just too cute. We are on our way!
Eliza's top tooth has broken through the surface! Ouch but she has been so good. She is showing some good wrestling moves on the changing table too. Tomorrow she is 9 months! Holy moly!
I wish I could add pictures but alas our computer is full again. What do you other bloggers do with all your pictures and videos? We have moved a bunch to the hard-drive but still are running out of room way too fast.
4 comments:
Posts on this site are the opinions of the post authors, and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of We Like Gryffin's other authors.
Your penis paragraph is a little much. Do you want us to get porn spam?
Corbin is hilarious!!
(Now am I going to get porn spam from commenting here?) :-)
Hip hip hooray for potty training!
Instead of uploading your pictures to your hard drive, add them to a flash drive (the little thing you plug into the computer). Then it won't slow down your computer and you can plug them right into the picture kiosks at the stores. fyi...
Do you have an external hard drive? That's what we do. We have 300 gigs of one, and our actual laptops don't hold anything at all. Makes it work really fast.
Yay for potty time! Lily started showing signs when she was about 18 months, but didn't actually like the potty until about 2 years old or something. We were slow for most of the time because like you, we wanted to follow her signals. Push came to shove when her bum had rash upon rash, and rashes were growing on top of rashes. So I finally said enough is enough, and let her run naked around the house for 2 days. That pretty much did it. Heh.
Good luck!
Post a Comment