Monday, June 01, 2009

Who said parenting was easy?

Challenges.

No.
More.
Mobility.
Sleeping.
Food.
Sitting in High Chair.
Teeth.
Nursing.

Those a list of challenges right now. I know parenting isn't easy. Not that is has been so far but now we are getting into some more parenting decisions. And I don't have the answers. Signing is turning out to be a blessing and a curse. Now that Corbin knows how to sign, he can tell me some of what he wants. But then I know what he wants and have to say no. Or give in. He signs more and then points. No you can't have my cereal or coffee or the pen. You can have your cereal, a banana, some juice, a toy. NO says Corbin. I WANT THAT. POINT. CRY. I don't want to sit in my high chair to eat. I will cry and spit out food until I get out. Then when I am out. I want more food. No Corbin you have to sit in your high chair. NO. CRY. Then he doesn't eat. Do his teeth hurt? His other molars are coming in. Does he want something else to eat? Do I offer him other food? Ok. No breakfast. Do you want to play? NO. I want to sit on your lap and cry. Then he pulls at my shirt and signs NURSE. He is tired. We go upstairs. He cries getting his diaper changed. He won't let me set him down. He signs NURSE. He didn't used to need to be nursed down to sleep for a nap. But in NC, I nursed him because we were in a different place. Is that why he wants to nurse? Or is he hungry because he isn't eating breakfast? Or is he just excited he knows he can ask for something? So I nurse him. He falls asleep. He is so cute when he sleeps. He pulls blue softy close and the blanket my mom wove. And is asleep before I leave the room.

NO. It's my weakness. I use it too much. I need to use something else. I know this. I can remember when we got Brindzi and I kept saying NO over and over to try to get her to not do something. Adam asked if I was going to say NO all the time to our kid. Hmmm. I am working on it.

Am I building bad habits if I give in now? What can I give in on and what do I need to stay firm on? I need some discipline help.

We took him to the Sounders game again on Sat. night. It was not fun for me. He didn't want to be in the pack with Adam. He wanted me. He didn't want to be held. He wanted to walk. Where, on the stadium seats. On the hard concrete. Where I couldn't watch the game. He didn't want to hang out with Grandma or Aunt Meghan. He just wanted me. Down low. You can't see down low. He didn't want to fall asleep. Which was ok. But I still tried. I know we can't do the same things we used to be able to do. It's just an adjustment. I don't know if he will be going to any more Sounders game. Which means less games for either Adam or myself.

He is waking up at 6amish. But is then sooo tired. It could be his teeth. It could be the light. It could be that he likes to wake up then. But then he is cranky. Then I am cranky. Bedtime has been later because it's so nice and light out. I want to move it to 8pm... but then he wakes up so early. Is he getting enough sleep?

I LOVE him SO much. And for the most part he is not challenging. I think I am just having a challenging week. Thanks for letting me vent.

9 comments:

Kevin said...

Sounds challenging! I'm sure you will find a balance.

I'm sorry you had a rough time at the game on Saturday. I'll bet that Grandpa Mark would love to babysit, again!

Adam said...

I felt the breeze from your venting all the way at work! It was pleasant on this hot day.

You are doing a great job and in just two weeks and two days I will be able to help you all day, every day.

By they way, I blame his teeth. It seems like they are quite painful for him.

Love ya!

Liliana said...

I hear dat! I'm right there with you sister. As I'm writing this, Jack just woke up crying from his way too short afternoon nap. :-)

Helen said...

Erin, I am totally high fiving you from here. I'm glad I'm not the only new mom with so many different questions. They change so fast and you wonder, "Am I doing this right? Am I doing this wrong? What do I do?!!" I have so many questions. Guh. They change so fast and it's hard to know what they want and what they need. And they sometimes don't even know what they want. That's what makes it difficult!!

You're doing swell. :)

Helen said...

A wise friend of mine who went through parenthood 20-odd years ago told me the other week, "When you feel like you're saying too many no's, try to reframe in a yes."

Like, "Yes, I know you love ice cream, but what are we going to have for breakfast?"

I'm working on that. A lot. We try to just use "no" for safety. Everything else we reframe or use distraction. We slip all the time, but it's natural. :)

Erin said...

That is exactly what I am trying to do. Instead of saying now, saying what we can do. It's just so hard sometimes and I need to really think about it. Good advice.

Thanks everyone... it was just one of those days.

mammaloons said...

Yep! Your venting is good AND you ARE doing a good job being a MOM! I was thinking along Helen's lines - re-framing the YES. Children give parents LOTS of opportunities for "reflection"! AKA hair pulling, nail biting, meltdowns, worrying, wondering, etc etc...Who's teaching who?? I am still learning! I read the blog to Mark and the first thing out of his mouth was "they can always bring Corbin here!" Love you all!!

Kat said...

*HUG* !!!

Sweet Mess said...

I guess everyone has already said it, but you are doing a wonderful job Erin! Corbin is so lucky to have a parent who is venting in a healthy way and trying to find constructive ways to parent him. I am with Adam on the teeth thing~ I think it is the teeth and before you know it (perhaps already?) this challenge will be over and you will be on to new days and new challenges. ;)

hang in there!