Day One - Bellingham to Deception Pass State Park
Miles: 42.77 (42.77 total) Riding time: 4 hours, 29 minutes
Adam on the nice, easy flats of Skagit County
Erin on the Padilla Bay Bike Path
At Deception Pass State Park, with the first bridge of terror in the background
Setting up camp at Deception Pass
A hearty first day dinner, direct from the Corner Mini Mart
Erin braved the bridge, and lived to get her picture taken
The San Juans look okay from the beach at Deception Pass...I guess
The sunset was okay, too...actually, it's better on film than it was in personDay Two - Deception Pass State Park to Port Townsend
Miles: 30.11 (72.88 total) Riding time: 3 hours, 34 minutes
A bit rainy and cold on our second day. Less pictures. Sorry. But we have a few.
Miles: 30.11 (72.88 total) Riding time: 3 hours, 34 minutes
A bit rainy and cold on our second day. Less pictures. Sorry. But we have a few.
Whidbey zigs and zags...we rode the background part earlier
Saw this sign in Coupeville...hard to tell but yes, that car is a squash
Just before Fort Casey and the ferry to Port Townsend...notice the matching jackets
Saw this sign in Coupeville...hard to tell but yes, that car is a squash
Just before Fort Casey and the ferry to Port Townsend...notice the matching jacketsDay Three - Port Townsend to Bainbridge Island (Erin's "Day from Hell")
Miles: 47.98 (120.86 total) Riding Time: 5 hours, 47 minutes! Yikes!
Erin's self-titled "Day from Hell." As there was Hell involved, we've got even less pictures than before. When you have to pedal hard to go downhill because of the massive headwind, you're not really thinking about pictures.
Lots of hills, and especially steep ones on some side roads. Also, two nasty bridges (Hood Canal, about two miles long!) and Agate Pass (with devilish sneaky crosswind attacks), which we mostly walked across because of minimal shoulders, lots of traffic and, oh yeah, WIND. Bridges, by the way, are worse than hills or traffic. They are tricksy little bastards.
But if that was a rough day (Erin had a medium-sized meltdown with about 12 miles to go), we should be thankful. We made it, with no flats, broken spokes, crashes, injuries, or other possible disasters. But dang.

Miles: 47.98 (120.86 total) Riding Time: 5 hours, 47 minutes! Yikes!
Erin's self-titled "Day from Hell." As there was Hell involved, we've got even less pictures than before. When you have to pedal hard to go downhill because of the massive headwind, you're not really thinking about pictures.
Lots of hills, and especially steep ones on some side roads. Also, two nasty bridges (Hood Canal, about two miles long!) and Agate Pass (with devilish sneaky crosswind attacks), which we mostly walked across because of minimal shoulders, lots of traffic and, oh yeah, WIND. Bridges, by the way, are worse than hills or traffic. They are tricksy little bastards.
But if that was a rough day (Erin had a medium-sized meltdown with about 12 miles to go), we should be thankful. We made it, with no flats, broken spokes, crashes, injuries, or other possible disasters. But dang.

Before the big hills, but the road that had the first really nasty one...my new favorite road name






5 comments:
Way to go!! I am still so proud of you!! You two are inspiring!
Interesting mohawk, Adam.....
How did you guys get so many photos of yourselves?? tripod? long arm? ???
Love, Mom/Susan
I like to use the long left arm method for self-portraits. It seems to work well. But it means that I always have to be on the right in the picture, so that I can use my left arm, and press the button on that side of the camera. Plus, the lens is on the other side, so I'm less likely to get arm-in-picture.
Didn't know there was so much reasoning involved, eh?
Hello Sister and Brother! This is your long lost sibling from the deep south. Holla!
Love the Pictures! Jealous of your adventure, seeing as how I broke a shifter the other day and now have to spend couple hundred dollars to get a new one. Oh well.
You guys are awesome!
It seems that we are all on new adventures. While you two delve into the life of endurance sports and Europe travels, and take my place, I delve into the adventures of school, relationships and moving to a new place. I guess we just decided to tackle these obsticles in different orders.
But you know what? I know that we are both happy and adventures are soo great because they broaden both our horizons and who we are.
Love you guys!
Looking forward to our next adventure together.
jedediah
Hooray for Erin, thank God for Adam's patience. Another effort without quitting and getting the thrill of the adventure. I knew it would pay off some day. I'm proud and jealous and glad to know my "pushing" you to keep on going has paid off. Love you both.
Hiya Erin. I love your pictures. You look so happy. Enjoy your journeys! Aloha!
Post a Comment