Sunday, December 20, 2009

Cookies!

Corbin is getting into the Christmas and Holiday Spirit lately. He is so much fun right now. He turned 18 months this week! Crazy! Not just with the holiday things that are happening but everything in general. I don't know if it's because his language is exploding and he can express more now or he is just aware of more thing or most like a combination of both. Everything is new. He repeats everything we say. His favorite things right now are winter/Christmas themed. Our Christmas tree, the lights, the ornaments, snowmen, SANTA, singing Christmas songs, everything! He is obsessed with Santa and his reindeer. We have been reading "The Night Before Christmas" illustrated by Tasha Tudor and given to me on my first Christmas by my grandmother. He loves the drawings and the Santa and Reindeer. He will say them over and over and over again. He can't get enough! When we are out at night he loves the lights and wants "more more more" and gets excited when he sees a Santa.

So we thought it would be fun to go and see Santa and get his picture taken. Last year I was on a quest for a good real, and cheap, Santa. I didn't find one and then I was at the mall, which I had just avoided thinking it would be bad and it was the best Santa I had seen. So this year, I didn't even really look around. We decided to brave the mall and get there right when it opened. He was so excited. There were about three other people in line in front of us but he kept wanting to go ahead of them. When we were finally in front, he kept trying to just go up and say hi. We told him he needed to say behind the green line. He kept sneaking a toe or foot over to see what we would do. At one point he even tried crawling across! He was getting impatient but then FINALLY Santa came over to say hi! He gave him a high five and walked over to his chair but noticed a rocking horse on the way. The rocking horse was way cool. He wouldn't sit on Santa's lap but instead sat on the rocking horse and Santa knelt down. Corbin was so busy trying to rock that he wouldn't really smile for the camera. But we finally got one where he was at least looking at it. We will scan it when we get a chance. He was sad to see Santa go and when we had to pass him leaving, he was really sad. He wanted to go back!


"Look there he is!"

This afternoon we went to Becky and Kevin's to make cookies and exchange them. I decided that I wanted the boys to do gingerbread and sugar cookie cutouts. So I made the dough this morning... put it in the fridge to cool. But I have my mother's genes and her recipes (which are not exact- Yes, you know this is true mom :-) and then tried to make the frosting... again no recipe just the ingredients... oops 1/4 cup butter not 2 sticks... and then the sugar cookies were too soft and just turned into sugar melted cookie wafers! Oh well. The gingerbread turned out ok, a little dry and cooked a little long. But the boys loved cutting them out and helping roll out the dough! It was worth it to just see them have fun!









By the end Corbin was my little flour monster! Corbin and Brody had no complaints at the final outcome though. Frosting, cookies, how could you go wrong! Tomorrow I will make Mexican Wedding Cakes with my messed up frosting recipe, butter and sugar and now all I need to add is flour and nuts! I am getting excited to see how Corbin reacts to the rest of all the Christmas excitement that is coming our way with our families!

No comments: