Wednesday, November 18, 2009

17 months


Corbin and I said good bye to nursing this past weekend. Almost 17 months of breast feeding. It was met with very mixed emotions. I knew that I was going to stop when it seemed right, most likely somewhere around 18 months but I wanted the time to be just right. And the time just seemed right for both of us. He was only down to nursing one time, at night before bed. And lately he has nursed very little, often pointing to his bed and saying "nigh nigh" before he was really done. He also started asking for Adam before going down. He just seemed ready. He goes down fine with Adam or other people without nursing or asking for it later in the morning. So far it's been 3 nights and he hasn't even cried when Adam puts him down. One night he asked for me but not to nurse and as soon as Adam put him down he just went straight to sleep. Tonight I might try putting him down with Adam. Mostly I am going to miss our cuddle time. He's not too much of a cuddler so nursing gave us that opportunity. Although he has been a little more cuddley lately, more than he has ever been. So now we just get to look for new ways to connect physically and emotionally. I will miss it, it was an amazing experience for both of us.

Like I said, Corbin is now 17 months! Holy wow! He is growing so fast! The biggest changes lately have been in his language. It seems like every day he learns a new word. I tried counting the other day and he has over 40 words and that doesn't count his sounds for animals or things. Or his signs. It's pretty amazing.

A couple of other things... he now has all of his teeth except for his 2 year molars, which I suspect will come in early too. He loves to "push" things like his wagon, the stroller, us, blocks, etc. He is putting "babies" nigh nigh and giving them kisses and blankets. He loves to run from the kitchen and back and forth. He kicks and throws his soccer ball and says "Goal"! When you ask him how old he is, he holds out his finger and says "one". He is having a few more temper tantrums when he is frustrated. He has become a picky eater, which we are trying to navigate. He loves his buddy Brody and misses him when he's not around. He is doing lots of coloring and even some painting lately. He loves to splash in puddles and dance in the rain. He can do lots of the hand motions to the "Itsy Bitsy Spider" and "Wheels on the Bus". And so much more.



1 comment:

Helen said...

Don't they grow sooo fast? :) Lily and Corbin are now at the age where there are more similarities in the things they are learning, since they are about "closer" in age now. Heh. She's doing all of the things that you just listed for Corbin, including the picky eating. It's very frustrating! We're trying lots of new things and new ways.

I think Corbin will become more cuddly now that his cuddle time with nursing is gone. Lily has done that when we kicked the nursing and then the loooong cuddle before bed. Now she wakes up to cuddle and cuddles through the day. Sometimes veerrry long periods. We love 'em!