Saturday, August 15, 2009

A place I called home

We are in NH this week. I grew up in NH and lived there till I left for college at 18. Since my parents don't live there anymore, I don't to come "home" any more. My dad's side of the family still lives here. My grandpa is 90 and hadn't met Corbin, so I decided it was time to come home and show him off. It's kinda like old home week. I have many more post to do but thought I would start with this one.

Some of you probably don't know that for 2 years of my life we lived in this Cabin in the woods. My parents left Proctor when I was 5 and decided to move into their one room cabin with no electricity and only cold running water. To live off the land. We lived here for 2 years before they decided to go back to Proctor for many reasons. This place hold many many wonderful memories. When my grandma got sick in the early 90's my grandpa cleared some land above it and built modular home above the Cabin. He and my Aunt Marilyn still live there.

Walking down the old driveway.

There used to be a big old deck here but it's gone now. My parents put the roof on the summer I was born. My mom was 9 months pregnant roofing in the hot NH heat!

Corbin was feeding me an "Erin" apple.

This is the apple tree my parents planted 30 years ago! My placenta is buried underneath.
Pretty cool to have Corbin eat an apple from my tree.






I showed Corbin where I used to poop :-)

It's a two seater with double doors!

The old hay rake.


Corbin really liked my grandpa's scooter, Rita.

Grandpa Red, Corbin, me, and aunt Marilyn in the background!



Corbin liked to kiss great grandpa's scratchy beard!

My grandpa was over joyed to meet his great grandson! He has 4 great grandsons! My cousin Ethan, has 3 boys but he has never met them. He just loved to watch Corbin run around! I am so glad we could make it out here to see them.

3 comments:

Liliana said...

Wow, what a sweet sweet post. Made me a little misty. That's so wonderful your grandpa got to meet Corbin and that you had a chance to visit your old home.

Were you inspiring Corbin to poop in the toilet by showing him how to use the outhouse there?? :-)

Helen said...

Wow, Erin. That was such a heartfelt post. How lovely to go back to your roots (and in your case, literally, given the "Erin tree"!). That's so wonderful. I had tears in my eyes and everything. What great memories to pass down to your son. :)

Sweet Mess said...

Great post Erin!
I love the last picture of Grandpa Red and Corbin.
XOXO