I think I need a weekend from my long weekend. It was a blast but I am pooped today. Ski to Sea weekend is always busy at our house but this year being 9 months pregnant and having not just friends but family in town as well made it especially busy. It all began last Wednesday when Jed and Kara arrived from NC & Kentucky. Luckily I had Friday off as well, so I got to spend some time with them, even if some of it was spent running errands. Then my parents arrived on Friday night. Breakfast, farmer's market, gardening, Adam's family arriving, lounging around in the hammock, Ski to Sea friends arriving, making dinner for 15, and figuring out logistics for all those people for the next day can really take it out of you, especially being 9 months pregnant! Wow, and that was only on Saturday. Then it was up at 5 am to head to the Mt. for the start of Ski to Sea. Jed was on the Baglery Team with a teacher from one of my schools, my dad was on Adam's team. So I wanted to go up to the mountain to see them both race. Jed's team was hoping for a top 3 finish, Adam's to just have fun and finish.
Unfortunately the warm weather we had last weekend and then again on Saturday made it so all that snow we got this spring started to melt. S2S officials had been warning that they might cancel the canoe leg of the race because of high and dangerous water. It wasn't until 10 am on Sunday, after the runners had already left, they canceled the Canoe leg. This was a good and bad thing. It made it so Adam and Kevin didn't have to canoe in the crazy river, it gave them a faster time than they would probably had being super novice, non trained canoeist. But it made it so they did a lot of hanging out, waiting, and then finally not getting to race at all. For super good teams, like Jed's it made all the teams the same, where as the canoe leg can really make or break a team. It was the first time in all the 10 years that I have been involved in S2S that it's been canceled. Like Nikki, I think we should blame it on Global Warming.
5 comments:
Thanks for hosting, you guys. Great job, as usual! It was nice to see you and be in Bellingham two weekends in a row. The next time we get up there you'll probably be a family of three!
I too am wiped out from this weekend, though I do not have the excuse of being pregnant at my disposal. Thanks for doing such a fantastic job once again of hosting everyone, I love Ski to Sea weekends! Next year I wanna be back on the team...Kevin is working on a running schedule for me, hahahaha! Maybe we'll have a runner in the family yet!
Umm...you forgot to mention that Jed's team won first place overall. Which was ridiculously exciting. Maybe next year some team will pay for him to fly out here. Or he could be on a family team...
Yeah team "a-bold-move"!!!
it is great to follow the action.
ps= we want poped out b-button shots!
I know... We are behind on this month's belly shots. Maybe tonight...
Post a Comment