Sunday, December 09, 2007

Citizen forestry

I'm not feeling particularly wordy tonight. By which I mean I'm not feeling particularly clever with my words, not that I can't think up any. Onward disjointed, generic sounding ramblishness! Ah:

We headed up to the Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest this weekend to find a Christmas tree. Usually we pick one up on Bainbridge during the Thanksgiving weekend, but we hosted the Turkey Day in Bellingham, and so had to find a tree...alternatively.

We aren't at all interested in spending $50 on a dead plant, so we headed up to the National Forest, because for $10 you can cut any tree you want under 12 feet. Of course, that depends on finding one. Part of that $50, that's called "convenience."

We wandered for a long while (actually, we drove around for a long while), searching for promising groves. We saw a lot of hemlocks and cedars, but very few firs. If it wasn't for Jill and Paul and their chocolate chip cookies, we may have gotten discouraged.

Eventually we did find and area that had been clear-cut long before, and had many firs for the choosing. So we tromped around for a while until we found the perfect one.

And of course, by "perfect" I mean the least not perfect.


Adam 1, Nature 0


It's a bit Charlie Brownish. Very few branches and hardly any strong ones. Lots of ornaments. Which would be great, except there are almost no branches without ornaments, which I've decided looks not ordinary. It's nice enough, though. It looks like a $10 tree. Or maybe $15. There are probably better trees out there, but we didn't see them. It's hard when the tree farm is 1,724,229 randomly planted acres.

I'm done writing words now. Check out that post below! Yow!

1 comment:

Kevin said...

I assume you guys, like me, are spoiled forever when it comes to Christmas trees. I like my trees cheap (free) and freshly cut. I get paranoid when they're out of water for any amount of time at all. Getting a bound, dry tree from a parking lot x-mas tree operation just doesn't seem right. I guess that's what comes with growing up on a tree farm.