Ah, the first broken (fractured) bone! Corbin fractured his collarbone last night. We were playing whiffle ball and he was doing these cool slides down the slide, jumping and then diving for the ball as I threw it. He landed wrong on one. I heard a pop. At first I was afraid he had dislocated his shoulder and he wouldn't let me touch or feel it. Once I did, it felt like there was a small bump. Adam finally got some pressure on it to just feel it and see what would happen and he felt it pop. So we got him some ice and tried to calm him down. He was really tired to. But after still 30 min or so of saying it still really hurt, I called the doctor. But they couldn't see us till 8:45 and then might still need to send us to the ER for x-rays. So we waited another hour to let the meds kick in and see how it was doing. He said it felt better but then getting jammies on, he said it really hurt still. We still decided to wait till morning. It was my first day of school with students though and Adam planned on working in his classroom. Our AWESOME friend Jen planned on having him and still took him because Adam couldn't get an appointment till 2:50. So I zoomed away from school and met them at the doctors office after school was out. They x-rayed it and found a small fracture. 3 weeks in a sling. The sling is more for others to visually see it and to remind him to keep it still. But the next three weeks are full....
I wasn't even thinking about Kindergarten or soccer starting up next week until Adam brought it up and how it would change his experience. Now I think I feel more bummed about that and sad for him. I know we will make it fun, but I am worried that somehow he will miss out on something because he can't climb, run, or jump on the playground or won't start practicing with his new soccer team at the same time. Both are big transitions without this. I actually teard up after the doctor found the fracture thinking about it. I know that the kids will think the sling is cool and he will still be able to play and hoping that he feels better by next week. It's a small fracture and he is a strong and brave boy, so hopefully it will be fast healing. For now, we will have some quiet play time for the next week or so before school starts.
No comments:
Post a Comment