We had some gorgeous weather a couple of weekends ago. My principal mentioned to me that he and his family were going to go camping over the weekend. I called up Adam on my way home from work at 3pm and said, "I wish we had thought to go camping or do something fun this weekend." He said, "we still could..." We have never gotten ready so fast! He stopped at the store on his way home for oatmeal and marshmallows. I just started pulling out all our camping things. Not checking anything. Just piling it in the living room. I put on "Dinosaur Train" for the kids. We loaded up the car, the kids, and dog and headed to Larabee State Park by 5:30pm! It was a little crazy. We are crazy. Yep.
 |
| It was the first time using our super HUGE family car camping tent. This thing is AWESOME! |
 |
| Corbin did not ride his bike. But he did wear his helmet. They went in and out of the tent. |
 |
| Water fountains are fun. |
Because we did not plan, we figured we could just cook hot dogs over the fire; problem #1. We bought potato salad and buns. I have always cooked pretty good camping meals over the camp stove. Never over the fire. Now I know why. You cannot rely on a fire starting. Wood being dry. Having enough newspaper. Or being timely. We ended up boiling the kids hot dogs. We finally ate our own fire cooked hot dogs around 7:30 pm.
 |
| My biggest kid! |
 |
| Hmmm...I wonder if this fire will ever start or only be smoke? What do you think Ellie? |
 |
| Maybe if we stick our tongues out at it, it will start? |
Bad planning #2. Friday is a long day for everyone. Bedtime for Corbin and Eliza is usually around 7pm. Luckily we had lots of distractions which helped with melt downs... but Eliza was going into the tent and trying to climb in her pack and play and saying "night night" around 7:30 pm. So we got her layered up for sleep. #3 problem... too many layers. Then Corbin realized she was going to bed and he said he was ready. Hmm...how will this work? Will they both go down together? Will Corbin being in the tent help Eliza feel better? #4 problem... No it did not. We have all slept in the same room before but we stagger bed times. They just wanted to roll around the tent together. Eliza would not stay in her pack and play and wanted to lay down next to Corbin. So we snuggled them in and left the tent. "Eliza, close your eyes, it's time for sleeping. Close your eyes Eliza. CLOSE YOUR EYES! MOMMY, Eliza is NOT going to sleep." On and on...Now around 8:30-8:45 pm. "Ok, mommy will come in and lay down with you for a while." Still did not work. Ok. Daddy's turn. He just decided to get ready for bed and stay in. I read by the now working fire. 10pm rolls around... still no one is asleep. Time for me to go in. Try to lay down and get everyone settled. Take off some of Eliza's layers. She won't stop moving around, crawling on everyone. We put her into the pack and play. She screams. I mean screams. We have neighbors on both sides of our site. 10:15pm seems a little late for a screaming child. I am sure they think I am torturing my child. I am sure she can sense my nerves. By this time she won't stop crying even when I pull her out. She is SO over tired. I try to rock her. I try to give her her bottle. I try to walk around with her. Screaming. Screaming. And More screaming. She is just too over tired to sleep. I try to just hold her really tightly and let her body relax. Sometimes this works. All she does is resist. So finally around 11pm, we stick her back into the pack and play and just pray that she will go to sleep after crying for a little while. We try to get Corbin to lie still (HARD). She just screams standing up in the pack and play. For more than 10 min. I finally pull her out and try to cuddle her next to me. A train goes by. Oh did I mention that almost every 40 minutes a VERY LOUD train goes by on the tracks right next to the campground? No. Yep. She looks at me and says "choo-choo train" then lays down and goes to sleep! Seriously?
But then an hour later. She wakes up again. Screaming. It's now almost 12:30 am. We try to get her to calm down. She won't. Her voice is hoarse from all the screaming. Corbin stays asleep, amazingly. I don't know what to do, so we get into the car and decide to go home. We will come back in the morning for Corbin, Adam and the stuff. She is asleep as soon as we get on the road. We get home close to 1am and sleep in our own beds till 7:15am. We head back to camp with coffee (the only thing I forgot!) and donuts. Eliza thinks it's great to be back...
 |
| I love camping. We can always go home in the middle of the night, right mom? And oatmeal in funny cups! |
 |
| Breakfast of champions; instant oatmeal, hot chocolate, and donuts! |
 |
| We headed down to the beach after breakfast. Pretty cool sandstone. |
 |
| Rock climbing. |
 |
| Brindzi was in heaven! |
 |
| Perfect little seat! |
All in all we had fun, minus in the moment of the screaming. But it was a good thing we were only 20 minutes from home. I have a few thoughts on how to make next time go better. We go camping with my parents in Ellensburg in two weekends...
 |
| Here is my crafty project! Garden markers. |
 |
| Mother's Day dinner outside. |
 |
| Bikes and books. |
 |
| Some swim time! |
 |
| Swimming lessons started too. Corbin is doing much better this year! |
 |
| And are we surprised that she is a dare devil in the water too....? |
No comments:
Post a Comment