Sunday, April 11, 2010

Big Boy Bed

On Thursday we moved Corbin into his "big boy bed". We have been telling him about it all week and he was pretty excited. New baby girl will need a crib after sleeping in the co-sleeper for a while and so instead of getting a new crib, we just decided to switch Corbin sooner rather than later. He amazingly enough has not tried to climb out of his crib. He climbs everything else but not out of his crib. This way he would have less transition (ie new baby and new bed) and we can then move him into a real toddler bed once we find one. Adam and I went away for a night last week. Grammie Susan came and spent the night with Corbin so we could get a night away before #2 comes along. When we got back we went out and got an clock and told Corbin tonight was the night. Corbin of course wanted to help daddy turn his crib into a big boy bed.



Adam had to go and get some new screws (2 times to Lowes) to make the railing fit, so while we waited for him to come back, Corbin practiced, going in and out. He LOVED it. I thought, Oh no, he will do this all night and never go to sleep. He then brought one book in and "read it" then took it out, then brought another one in, over and over again. We also tried practicing the number 7, saying that was what time he could get out in the morning. Our friends Aimee and Eric did this with their little guy. They taped over the minutes and wrote a 7 on the other side. They told Alden that when he saw two sevens, he could get up, but not before then. We had no idea what to expect.






So when it came to bedtime, we tried to read stories from the chair, but he wanted to sit in bed. Adam sat next to the bed while Corbin climbed in and out and looked at the pictures every once in a while. He was all over the place. He kept saying "big boy bed!". He also took out all of his stuffed animals from his toy box and brought them into bed with him. Every single one of them. Finally we decided it was time. We said, "Ok Corbin, night night time." He climbed right in and laid down. We put the blanket over him and left the room. He instantly cried out "Mommy!" So I went back in and he kept repeating over and over "Mommy come right back. Mommy come right back." I think he was not sure if I would be there in the morning, since we had been gone the night before. I told him I was only going downstairs and I would come up when it was time for me to go night night. He repeated it again, crying. So I rubbed his back, sang some songs, told him I wasn't going anywhere and then left the room. He still was crying. We watched him on the monitor (yay video). He cried pretty hard for about 10 minutes. He kept saying "ok Mommy" which we weren't sure if he was saying, he was ok, or if he was agreeing with me. I was going to go back in and let him know I was still here but after about 10 minutes he started to calm down and laid back down and finally fell asleep after about 20 minutes total. The whole time, he NEVER got out of his bed! I was amazed! I also expected him to wake up at some point in the night and get out. But nope, he slept right through till 7:30 am! He woke up talking to himself. We watched him, he just laid there. Finally he said "Mommy", so I went in and he said, "time to get up?" I said "yep, your clock has 2 seven's on it, time to get up". He was so excited he jumped out, then back in again. He played doing that for about 10 minutes and let me go back to bed and lay there while he played! He never does that!

He went down great for his naps too! It's been 3 nights and 3 days of naps and he still goes down when we say so and doesn't get up till we come in the room! It's great! Yay for big boy beds!

3 comments:

celina said...

Wow, I'm so impressed with Corbin's transitioning skills! I'm so going to try that taping over the clock and writing a 7 some day when Ruby gets a big girl bed, though with her the number will probably have to be a 6 or she'll be waiting in there a loooong time!

Helen said...

YAY!!!! This gives me hope for when Lily transitions. :)

I've been training her to stay in her bed until it's time to get up, even when she's awake. She used to wake up at 6am, and I would just give her back the binky and she'd go back to sleep. When she didn't go back to sleep, she would just lay there, and I'd go back to bed. LOL Now, she just sleeps until 7:30, on her own, and when she wakes up, she just plays until I get her. She always knows I'm coming. I'm hoping this will work in our favor for big girl bed transition time!

Anonymous said...

Super cool bed! What a big boy!!!
Shay